This is something that I have been thinking about a lot this week, generally, there isn’t much that puts me off reading a book, but here are 5 things that annoy me the most from least annoying to the most:
- Repetitive use of the same word over and over again – I mean just why? When I come across this my first thought is “who the heck edited this?” so yeah it really annoys me when the same words or phrases are used to describe a multitude of things.
- Really really really slow intros – I find it really off-putting when it feels like nothing is happening fast enough but at the same time I’ve read half a book.
- Little or no character development – I find it so frustrating when you come to the end of the book and the main character is still the same whiny brat that they were at the beginning.
- Insta-Love!! – seriously it’s so unrealistic, insta- attraction yeah I get that but loving someone after like 10 secs of knowing them….. Nah I don’t think so!
- Unhealthy relationships that are portrayed as normal – this is at the top of my list because it’s the thing that really makes my blood boil when I’m reading. It usually goes something like this: male love interest treats the female main character like utter shit, she thinks it’s normal and her friends go along with as it’s seen as him just loving her. I’ve read a few books where this is the case i.e. Beautiful Disaster and Belong to You and each time I’m left dumbfounded.
I’d love to hear your thoughts, feel free to leave a comment 😊